How to Choose a Hearing Aid That Fits You
New to the hearing aid world and want to figure out how to choose a hearing aid? No need to worry, I am here to confront your concerns and put ease in your mind, by the end of this article, you will be confident about buying hearing aids. The World Health Organization has stated that over 5% of the world’s population has hearing loss, and this number is going to increase over the next couple of years. As you can see, you’re not alone. Concerns to be covered include:
- Four hearing aid questions to consider before you buy
- Hearing aid styles
4 Hearing Aid Questions to Consider:
Answering these questions for yourself will help you and your audiologist/provider know what you are looking for in hearing aids.
- How would you rate your ability to hear? First, it is essential to know what type of hearing loss you have; This can range from very mild to severe.
Click here to take an online hearing test to get an idea of where your hearing stands. If you have any questions about this test, contact Prescription Hearing for answers.
- What kind of lifestyle do you have? Are you in a work environment that is loud and bustling or in a quiet office? Are you more active and in social events often? Background noise can be challenging to deal with in many different scenarios. There are hearing aids with advanced technology containing features that assist you with more natural hearing when lots of background noise is present.
- What type of features are of interest to you? If you prefer less expensive hearing aids, that will usually require in-office visits. Or do you prefer the latest innovative technology, to have the ability to make adjustments from the comfort of your home? Would you prefer Bluetooth hearing aids for better connection and sound quality?
- How do you want your hearing aid to look? Some people like to show off their hearing aids, while others like for them not to attract attention. It’s up to you. Like other articles you wear, you want it to be YOU; Choose from color, size, and style.
For more assistance, this Hearing Aid Selector Tool will ask 6 questions and provide you with the best hearing aid option based on your answers.
How to Choose a Hearing Aid from all the Different Hearing Aid Styles Offered
Each hearing aid style will differ in their price, sizing, and features. Below is a descriptive list of several different types of hearing aids. Use this list and the above questions to help guide your decision on picking a hearing aid suited for you.
Completely-in-canal (CIC) Hearing Aids
- Virtually invisible
- Not likely to pick up wind noise (reduce background noise)
- Able to use over the ear headphones
- Different sized sleeves to mold themselves to your ear canal shape
Behind-the-ear (BTE) Hearing Aid
- Custom earmold to fit in the canal
- Earmold has larger tubing to connect to the hearing aid
- Usually is the largest out of all options
Receiver-in-canal (RIC) Hearing Aids
- The behind-the-ear portion is much smaller compared to other BTE hearing aids
- A tiny wire connects the hearing aid to the receiver
- Picks up less background noise than BTE
If you’re unsure how to clean hearing aids, look here.
CHOOSING A HEARING AID CAN BE A SCARY PROCESS, SO DON’T FORGET THESE TIPS
When deciding on how to choose a hearing aid, make sure to ask yourself the 4 questions at the beginning; Use the hearing aid selector tool. If you need help with the answers to your questions, contact Prescription Hearing. Review all the different styles and see what Prescription Hearing has to offer.
Shop for the latest and greatest here!
If you want to know how hearing aids work, click here for information from the National Institutes of Health.